Customer Support Team Lead
Hi, we're Knack, a no-code platform used by thousands of customers — from non-profits to the world’s biggest companies — to build better businesses with data.
We’re looking for an experienced customer support lead to help us build a world-class customer success team. This role will not involve daily queue or ticket work and will report directly to the CEO.
Your job will be to build on top of a great foundation. We have a stellar group of 12 customer success heroes and a culture of cooperative collaboration. We now need to improve our tooling, refine our processes and bring in further team members to take customer success to the next level.
This is not for the faint of heart. Knack is a highly technical product where each customer builds a unique application tailored to their custom requirements. Our support team often has to interpret customer business goals, understand complex workflows, and comply with strict security requirements.
But the work is also deeply rewarding, especially if:
- You’re looking for a 100% remote culture focused on a sustainable and ethical journey.
- You're ready to take on the biggest challenge of your career, doing irreplaceable work on a product that is transforming how work is done.
- You want to do that work with genuinely good people who are as invested as you are in being a part of a great team and building an awesome product.
In this role, you will:
- Establish clear teams, roles, and processes between onboarding, front-line support, technical support, and engineering. Develop and support internal leaders to help manage these teams.
- Be the support for the support team. Help hire and train new support team members. Nurture and improve the existing team through regular feedback, 1:1’s and coaching.
- Explore the right balance between autonomy and accountability. Establish clear standards and expectations for what excellent work looks like for each role.
- Relentlessly focus on maximizing efficiency and mitigating costly support experiences with self-service, community-led support, and education.
- Always seek to implement the optimal tooling, workflows, and automation that can put the the success team in the best position to succeed.
- Establish clear processes for prioritizing heavy traffic, triaging emergencies, and escalating tricky issues.
- Work cross-functionally with product and engineering to help prioritize new features and bug fixes based on customer feedback and impact.
- Be data-driven. Establish, analyze, and report on KPIs for customer satisfaction, lifetime value, churn, and more. Establish a system to experiment with different solutions to impact critical metrics.
We’re looking for someone who is:
- Empathetic and customer-focused with experience and deep knowledge around implementing best practices in building a high-performing team that leads to very happy customers.
- Scrappy and resourceful! We don’t expect 100% experience with everything on this list, but we do expect a capacity to quickly level up or seek assistance to fill gaps and continuously improve.
- A problem solver. You aren't afraid to go deep, experiment, learn on the fly, and do the work.
- Humble but opinionated. You have lots of ideas, yet you are happy to shift directions when a better path emerges. You take your work much more seriously than you take yourself. You are confident enough to teach but humble enough to learn.
- An active collaborator. You want feedback on your work early and often, and you get a kick out of a collaborative process because it challenges you to do better work.
Our support stack
- Ticketing: Zendesk and Intercom
- Knowledge Base: Helpdocs, Readme
- Internal Knowledge: Guru
- Community: Discourse
Our hiring process
- Stage 1: Application. Apply to join through the link (or form) below. If you don't hear from us for the first week or two after submitting your application, don't be alarmed. 🙂
- Step 2: Learn more about the role. You'll speak with our ops lead so we can learn more about your values and what you will bring to Knack.
- Step 3: Dive into your experience. You'll chat with a member of our executive team about your background, experience, and management philosophies.
- Step 4: Get to know the team. You'll chat with potential teammates about the day-to-day implications of the role.
Knack launched in 2012 with one simple goal: to enable everyone to do amazing things with their data.
Knack makes it easy for anyone to build applications and workflows to make their data useful. Our customers use Knack to run their processes, departments, or even their entire companies.
We've been growing steadily since as we've built our team, perfected our product, and nailed our product-market fit.
So how are we different?
- We're bootstrapped: we've had to build something our customers actually pay for. This changes how you do things.
- We're 100% remote: and have been from the beginning. Every decision we've made has been based around optimizing our remote operations.
- We're all a little weird: and we like it that way. We're more than just chat avatars; we've all gotten to know each other, have grown together, and love working with each other.
- We enjoy the journey: we're in this for the long haul. We're not chasing an exit or the next round of funding. We're building something we're proud of and want to keep improving on.
Benefits & Perks
The biggest benefit is our awesome team of Knacksters. We're a funny, humble, talented team of delightful human beings that above all enjoy working with each other, growing with each other, and supporting each other.
These benefits aren't that bad either:
- Define your work: find the location, environment, and schedule that is best for your life and work. It's not about separation, it's about optimization. Our only rule is an overlap zone of 11am to 4pm EST.
- Unlimited Paid Vacation: take the time you need to stay motivated, charged, and balanced. You'll get required days off for birthdays and knackiversaries.
- Paid Corporate Retreats: we get together twice a year at amazing locations to do normal human being things in person. We pay for your flight, lodging, and meals.
- HealthCare: we offer health, vision, and dental, covering 75% of the premium for you and your dependents (spouse + children).
- Equal opportunity: we push everyone to maximize their impact on our product and company--we strongly value all of our people, regardless of title or seniority.
- Family support: we offer a generous paid family leave to welcome any new additions to your family.
- Tech: we provide a top-of-the-line PC or MacBook
We are also passionate about learning and professional development. We provide multiple learning opportunities and encourage each other to continuously learn and grow:
- Long-term growth and learning plans, with regular check-ins to help you level up on what's important to you.
- Have executive-level visibility into how the company is run and performing, including revenue.
- Use an annual allowance to stay on top of your game with training, classes, conferences, and workshops.
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what makes a company flourish. Knack welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We're proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we embrace diversity.
How To Apply
Are you currently so excited to apply that you can barely type? Then we want to hear from you! Use the application link provided here to let us know you're interested in this role.